Friday, March 4, 2011

Mardi Gras Madness!

In preparation for Fat Tuesday, I took inspiration from a couple of Nawlin's favorites. First up was the good old King's Cake you might see around this time of year. Baked inside this cake is a little plastic baby (meant to represent the baby Jesus) and if your slice of the cake has the baby inside it is said you get good luck and are King for the day!

I remember the first time I heard about this. I was about 8 or 9 years old. My  mother's boyfriend at the time, Damien, who was born and raised in New Orleans had one shipped over for us to try and it was awesome!

So the cupcakes aren't entirely true to actual cake, but I took my own little spin on it.
For the cake I started with my favorite vanilla recipe and added a little cinnamon and dark rum! After that I topped them with a rum sugar glaze and used purple and green vanilla buttercream for the frosting. I placed the little babies on top just for visual effect. Of course I did bake a baby inside one lucky cupcake. (I'll take a photo of the "king" when it's found)

After that cupcake was finished, I couldn't pass up the chance to do a bananas foster cupcake. Bananas foster is my favorite (non chocolate) dessert! I was also introduced to this by Damien on a different occasion. First things first I had to start with an actual bananas foster recipe. I sauteed those bananas in butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, banana liquor, a dark rum.
I did my best flambe it, but I was kinda scared I would set my house on fire! HAHAHA. I did alright though. After that was done it was more rum and vanilla batter, then I mixed in my bananas. Since this actual dessert is usually served over vanilla ice cream, I topped the cupcakes with vanilla buttercream and adorned it with a brown sugar sprinkle and a banana chip. They were super delicious!
Another good weekend baking experiment!

<3 Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment